MTVH leaseholders should now have received a statement of actual expenditure for services charges for the financial year ending 2022. We think they have made mistakes. Please request receipts and tell us you’ve done it.
When comparing services charge statements people living in very similar properties seems to be paying very different amounts. For example, resident 1 and resident 2 live in the same block but resident 1 pays over £100 a year more for internal cleaning and resident 2 pays over £200 a year more for fire prevention services. This seems wrong. Please send us a copy of your statement so we can see how widespread the problem is.
When we had this problem last year we demanded to see receipts to corroborate the service charges (as is our right). MTVH then admitted they couldn’t corroborate the service charges and agreed to fix the issue. We hope to do the same here.
1. I am the leaseholder of <your address>
2. I make this request of the landlord in accordance with Section 22 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985
3. The landlord has provided a summary of the relevant costs incurred for the period ending 31st March 2022.
4. As the landlord of the property you are required to comply with paragraphs 5 and 6 below.
5. You are required to provide me with reasonable facilities free of charge for inspecting the accounts, receipts and other documents supporting the summary (including details of service charge apportionment calculations), and for taking copies or extracts from them.
6. You are required to make such facilities available for a period of two months beginning not later that one month after this request is made.
A person who, without reasonable excuse, fails to perform a duty imposed on them under Section 22 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 commits a summary offence and is liable on conviction to pay a fine not exceeding level 4 on the standard scale
The local housing authority has the power to bring a prosecution.
Some people have asked why their share of estate expenditure is what it is. I think is is covered under “other documents supporting the summary”
Together we can ensure transparent service charges