Individual Repair Issues

If you’re concerned about the fact your landlord has not done a repair to a communal area (i.e. an area that affects more than just your household) please report it to your landlord then contact us. We have succeeded before so we may be able to help you too.

To report a repair

If the issue you’re concerned about only affects your household then it’s unlikely the TRA will have the resources to help you. We advise you do the following to get it fixed.

Firstly, report the repair, and make a note of the issue number

If your landlord has not fixed the issue within a month put in a formal complaint.  MTVH says “We aim to complete them [i.e. repairs] within 28 days of them [the repair] being put onto our system”.  The other landlords are vaguer but if MTVH can manage 28 days the other landlords should be able to as well.  The procedure varies according to the landlord

Generally you can only put in a complaint for an issue that has occurred in the last six months, so please act promptly.

On the complaint, make sure to add all dates, how this is impacting the people in your household and the extra cost you have endure.

Please ask for compensation. In 2021 MTVH residents in Williams House recently won £250 compensation per household after persistent complaints about poor lift service .  The compensation policies are

If you’re not happy with the response you can take the case to the Housing Ombudsman. We suggest we seek the advice of a solicitor, your MP or a local councillor before doing this. You can contact your MP and councillors here. Unfortunately we can’t recommend a specific solicitor

You can also sue your landlord for low cost using the government’s online money claims service. Here is the story of one resident who succeeded

Leaseholders have specific rights and responsibilities. For question please contact the Leasehold Advisory Service on 0207 832 2500.  If you have a problem getting an EWS1 form here is some advice

Nobody in the residents association is a property lawyer. The above is not legal advice

One thought on “Individual Repair Issues

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s