Minutes of Waste Conference

Thanks to everyone who attended the waste conference on 25th June, organised by Lambeth Council and Metropolitan. The minutes are below, or you can download them in pdf format

Initial general discussion

The observation was made that when it comes to waste management on estates there did not seem to be a cohesive strategic estate wide overview between the respective housing associations. We need a strategic overview.

There is a lack of clarity about what organisation is responsible for what. No real estate wide overview. This should happen. Action Metropolitan

Bins are poorly administered – not put back in the proper place to enable residents to use them. They are insufficient numbers of recycling bins

ACTION – DOUG PERRY HAS PLANS TO PUT AN EXTRA FIVE RECYCLING BINS ON THE ESTATE. [TRA and Metropolitan need to communicate with Doug to ensure these extra bins are located in areas which will optimise use).

Cost – there is fear that improvements in waste service will lead to higher service charges.

Need an audit of the bins on the estate, type and location – apparently Metropolitan already has this. Action Metropolitan

Doug Perry – Lambeth Assistant Director for Waste Services explained Lambeth’s obligations to collect waste and explained mechanism for waste collection on the estate. If Lambeth’s waste collection crew caused spillage during collection they will collect it. They should also pick up contained bags surrounding bins. Same with recycling. However Lambeth’s waste collection crew will not pick up items of rubbish – say- from ripped open bags which spill onto the ground

Lambeth is not responsible for removing bulky waste or fly tipped waste, neither are they responsible for cleaning out bin chambers .

Iva – Metropolitan – Pinnacle is responsible for cleaning estate, cleaning out the bins and collecting fly tipping and bulky items. Currently Pinnacle wash the bins and bins stores quarterly there are however plans to reduce the frequency to every 6 months. She explained that the cost of collecting fly tipping and bulky items left on the estate last year was about £50k. This some is recharged to the residents through service charges. It is therefore in everyones interest to tackle fly tipping. Iva confirmed that Pinnacle employs an enforcement officer.

Nottinghill land – Fly tipping on Nottinghill land was annoying to residents as Nottinghill do not seem to react quickly to remove dumped items on their land. So it is crucial that there is an estate wide strategy between Nottinghill, Amicus and Metropolian

ACTION – JENNIFER BRATHWAITE WILL GET IN CONTACT WITH NOTTINGHILL TO GET THEM TO AGREE TO LET METROPOLITAN DEAL WITH DUMPED ITEMS ON NOTTINGHILL LAND AND THEN RECHARGE THEM.

Also on 21st July there is an estate open orchard to which Nottinghill is invited.

Fly tipping – There was a general discussion on fly tipping, personal arrangements to get rid of bulky waste and the costs of so doing. Residents felt that a good proportion of waste came from residents who did not live on the estates and from businesses particularly furniture and removal businesses on Brixton Hill. St Martin’s estate residents were unfairly subsidising outsiders who use their estate to dump waste.

A strategic approach was needed to deal with disposing of bulky items as it was evident that residents, for costs and other reasons were not availing themselves of Lambeth’s bulky was service which cost £25 for up to four items. It was therefore suggested that carrels (small enclosures) are built in which residents could place there bulky items for collections. The estate would look cleaner and this might bring down costs as Pinncale would be collecting bulky waste from designated locations. Some pointed out that the dangers of carrels is that they formalise dumping of bulky waste and could attract more dumping from outside.

Tabard Estate – This was mentioned by Vinny and perhaps we can arrange to visit the estate. Action TRA

ACTION – TRA TO CONTACT VINNY AND ARRANGE A VISIT TO TABARD ESTATE TO REVIEW HOW THEY DEAL WITH FLY TIPPING.

Information to residents – It was felt that ignorance was a barrier to recycling. Residents were confused about what could be recycled. In addition feeding recycled waste through narrow aperture of a recycled bins was time consuming. Need to send out information to tenants about

  • Materials that can be recycled
  • Organisations to contact to get rid of bulky waste
  • Lambeth’s Bulky waste service
  • The costs to them of waste collection and additional costs of removing illegally dumped items
  • Asking residents to refrain from dumping waste and littering estate

Met. Reps felt this was done before and does not necessary elicit the behaviour change we want

Some contributors thought that leaflets were not the only way to communicate with residents about waste and recycling. They suggested that the community in conjunction with a local school should make a film about waste and recycling.

ACTION – DOUG AGREED TO MAKE UP WEATHER PROOF NOTICES REGARDING WASTE/RECYCLING AND GIVE THEM TO METROPOLITAN TO PUT ON RECYCLING CAGES. THE COMMUNITY SHOULD HAVE AN INPUT IN HOW THESE POSTERS LOOK. HE WILL HAVE TO LOOK AT THE COSTS OF DOING THIS FIRST and liaise with Metropolitan

Mini Vale Street – Some one came up with the idea of a mini vale street. Can we identify a site on the estate where residents can dispose of recycled waste which can be refurbished and reused. Run by volunteers perhaps on the Pinnacle site. Southwark does it and we should try it, it is a great idea.

ACTION – DOUG TO EXPLORE THIS IDEA OF SEPARATE ITEMS / TRA

Food Waste –A general discussion about separate collection of food waste. Doug felt that the benefit cost ratio did not make it worth while. He felt that the food waste is likely to be so contaminated it would increase our costs. Rather than dispose of food, we offer estates composting but residents must be trained how to manage it. If residents want a composter then they must ask. Action TRA

ACTION – JENNIFER BRATHWAITE TO ASK LINDA ELLIOT FROM ESTATE PRIDE TO GET A PICTURE OF FOOD AND COMPOST FOR THE NEXT TRA MEETING. (Done – but did not know date of next TRA meeting) Action TRA to contact Linda Elliot with date.

Doug Ask How would it work in practice – What participation and how we would get the message out. Doug would consider a pilot for this area. Can TRA identify a pilot and role n out? Perhaps Gay Wood House people from Valance house at meeting were suggested, ACTION DOUG SAID HE WOULD GET LINDA TO HAVE A LOOK AT THE VIABILITY OF FOOD COMPOSTING ON THE ESTATE

Karen said she would be interested in food waste

Anette said her estate in clapham North tried recycling and it was great, she is converted. No rats running in streets because food is in.

Iva Asked if Lambeth would consider collecting food waste bins?

Allotment – Met offered to advertise on behalf of the allotment scheme at the back of Heyman house (go to TRA website)


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s