Are you a cyclist? And, if so, would bicycle storage on our estate by useful? If so please email your landlord to say so
We’re still campaigning for cycle parking for our other two landlords.
If you would find cycle parking useful please email your landlord to say so
Here are some of the stories about why cycle storage would make life better
- Bike storage would mean I was able to use my bike more often. I have arthritis and benefit from the exercise but find it difficult to carry up to my flat. I know of many other bike users also in my area. We have no storage for them and we are forbidden to lock to the railings.
- I have arthritis, however the GP recommended me to cycle. I love cycling but I live on top floor at Kelyway House and I have to carry my bike up and down the stairs. This has resulted in sciatica pain which has left me in pain. My last bike was stolen when I attached it to rails outside the building so this is my second bike.
- I have to carry my bike up to my 6th floor flat. The lift, when it works, stops at the 5th floor. I need ground floor parking
- “We would like to cycle instead of driving. We tried to get 2 spots but it’s impossible and there is no option of parking a bike nearby”
- We have 5 bikes and we are desperate for a cycling space as Optivo wouldn’t allow us to put them on the balcony
- My bike was stolen from the communal area of my block due to the communal door being left open.
- Covered bike storage would be a godsend for us. We have four bikes chained up outside the front of the house, and I know there are at least three residents upstairs who have to get their bike along a walkway, down the communal stairs and out through the heavy main door of the block each morning.
- I have a bike that I use frequently, and my flatmate would like to buy one as well but currently has not on the basis that we do not have room in the flat.
- I can see lots of parking places for cars nearby but nowhere to park bikes
- The house is packed and it’s a hassle finding space for my bicycle
- I want my family to be healthy
Cycle parking would be easy to install. We could use cycle hoops or, as one resident said, “The ground floor of Holbrook House there is ample space to put bike racks indoors”. There may well be space in other blocks too
This issue doesn’t just affects cyclists. We met a non cyclists we supported secure cycle parking because it would stop people parking their bikes of the balconies. And another resident said “When my friends visit my place they leave their bikes in my yard. We have had to foil several attempts of theft”
People in almost every part of the estate would benefit from cycle parking
The status with our landlords is
Optivo have built some new bike storage hangars but six months after they were installed they have still not told residents how to access them.
NHG said on 8th November 2022 they “have now purchased three hangers from Cycle Hoop. They unfortunately have a lead time of late March to the beginning of April , however we are on their cancellation list in case an earlier slot becomes available. [They] will be meeting with [NHG] closer to the time to view the areas where they will be located. [NHG] will be in touch to obtain more feedback from residents”
We haven’t heard anything definite from MTVH. But Lambeth Living Streets says “At the Lambeth Council climate action plan launch tonight, very constructive discussion with Metropolitan Housing about the need for cycle storage”